Green Celebrity Profile!
Sam Worthington might not be a mainstream celebrity name everyone knows in the United States, but fans of this Aussie in his home country of Australia already know him well.
They call the former bricklayer turned actor their “Indiana Jones for the next Generation“.
In the US, people may know his name from the Sci-Fi Terminator Salvation almost all recognize his face as the lead character in James Cameron‘s AVATAR. You know — that hot guy in the wheelchair who gets romantic with Zoe Saldana while she is playing her blue Nabu character?
It has just been announced that Worthington has been cast as the next Allan Quartermain, but he won’t be playing the historic adventurer in any remake. It seems some clever writer has brought the action adventure hero into a modern — actually, future — day.
Worthington will portray Quartermain revisiting the planet during a sojourn from outer space.
FAST FACTS ABOUT SAM WORTHINGTON FROM IMDB.com
- Worthington was a finalist to play James Bond in Casino Royale before Daniel Craig was cast.
- He was a bricklayer before becoming an actor.
- Maeve Dermody was Sam’s girlfriend for 2yrs.
- In 1998, Sam graduated from the National Institute of Dramatic Arts (NIDA).
- Sam has blurred vision but he does not wear glasses.
- Aside from acting, Sam is a keen surfer.
- His favourite artists include Xavier Rudd and Bernard Fanning.
- In 2009 he got his first Teen Choice Award nomination for Choice Movie Fresh Face Male in Terminator Salvation.
- Worthington earned a scholarship to the John Curtin School of Performing Arts in Fremantle.
- Sam was once described as one of Australia’s most likable young leading men by efilmcritic.com.
- Won the ‘GQ Man of the Year’ award in Australia in 2009, over ‘Eric Bana’ and Russell Crowe.
- Born in Godalming Surrey, England. Parents moved to Perth, Western Australia when Sam was very young, and he considers the country home.
- Currently dating stylist Natalie Mark .
- Grew up in Rockingham in Western Australia about 1 hour drive from Perth.
- Was cast in Avatar after two other green celebrities, Jake Gyllenhaal and Matt Damon, each turned down the role.